On Tuesday 10 December 2002 11:35 am, flacycads wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for the amazing fast and informative info! I should have
> no problem in fixing my problems.
>
> However, I'm still curious as to how or why a Linux nvidia driver install
> can foul up win98 beyond repair, and necessitate a win98 reinstall. Or, in
> Linux, how did it delete the /etc/X11/XFree86Config-4 file, which had to be
> edited to finish the driver install? Somehow, even though the linux nvidia
> drivers were apparently successfully installed, the procedure prevented X
> from initializing.
>
> Until I understand that, I'm leary of trying the nvidia drivers again- I
> always wound up having to reinstall Linux to get X back. Perhaps the older
> 2960's as suggested will work better- I was using the latest 3123's.

Can't address the win98 issue.  As for XF86Config-4, one way to easily protect
against such a glitch is to create a copy of that file (ie, XF86Config-4.bak
or something and leave it in the same directory or where ever you want). Do
the install, check to see if the original config file exists.  If no, simply
do cp the saved backup copy of XF86Config-4 to XF86Config-4 and off you go.

I have never had the problems you mention with my NVidia Geforce 4 Ti4200,
however, so I am not sure what is up.

praedor