Xingyuan Zhang wrote:
Dear Mandrake experts,
I have just installed Mandrake 9.0 on my PC. It is an old RM machine, with ATI display card and Taxan Ergovision 730 display.
After restarting X, the display begin to flick on and off at a frequency of once 2-3 seconds. I can hear click sounds from my display.
Do you have any idea about the reason of this?
Thanks!
Xingyuan
This *sounds* like a symptom where the X-server cannot operate at the current configuration and you would get a message: 'X respawning too quickly; disabling for 5 minutes'. If so, you might be able to fix it by logging in as root (it might take pressing (Enter) when the flickering stops to get a login prompt), then type init 3 to make sure you are in text mode, or choose the failsafe menu item at boot > single user maintenance mode, run XFdrake --expert, and try to choose some settings that are appropriate for your hardware. The pre-selected choice is the result of auto-detection and a good bet. If it doesn't work, try lower-performance settings.