On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:39:07 -0800
Larry Sword <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm have problems finding this anywhere on the IBM web site or by
> search. Can you please provide the source document you have for this??

This all came about because the warranty that IBM used for about a month
some time in 01 only warrantied their drives for X number of hrs,
something that worked out to about 10 hrs per day.
This wording was quickly removed and recanted.

A statement was issued by them that even during that period all their
drives were/are tested and perform within norm during 24/7 operation.
The only IBM drive which had serious issues was the 75GXP

I personally have 22 hds ranging from 12gb to 60gb and age from 5 years
to less than 6 months split about 50/50 between IBM and pre-buyout
Maxtors.
Thus far I have suffered 2 Maxtor failures and no IBM failures.
The only problem I have with IBM drives is that they are not available
locally.

On the subject of drives another which has not been mentioned is
Fujitsu.
Stay away.
They, in Sept. admitted that at least 3% of their drives sold in Japan
will have to be replaced but they made no admission in regards to drives
sold elsewhere.
In the US a class action law suit has been filed against Fujitsu of
America and HP for sale of system with said drives.
Now not being produced for the desktop market many pre-built systems
were/are sold with these drives.
If you have 1 of these systems my suggestion would be to replace it or
at the very least make very frequent back-ups.
The drives most prone to failure are the MPG3xx, MPG3204AT, MPG3307AH
and the MPG3409AH.
Additional info on the class action suit can be found at
www.sheller.com/fujitsuclassaction.htm

    Charles

Twenty years of romance make a woman look like a ruin; but twenty years
of marriage make her something like a public building.
                -- Oscar Wilde
Charles A Edwards
[EMAIL PROTECTED]