On Tuesday 17 December 2002 07:30 pm, Simon Ree wrote:
> David Robertson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 16:19, Sascha Noyes wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Just recently got a Compaq Presario 700 series laptop, which does
> > > things entirely by ACPI and not APM. I tried to compile 9.0's kernel
> > > but ran into trouble.
> > >
> > > 1) make xconfig
> > >
> > > Here are the things that I changed from the default values:
> > >
> > > Processor type and features > Processor Family : from 586 to
> > > athlon/duron/k7
> > >
> > > Processor type and features > Local APIC support on uniprocessors: from
> > > 'yes' to 'no'
> > >
> > > General Setup > ACPI support > from 'no' to 'yes'
> > > and all the other ACPI options in General Setup from 'no' to 'yes'
> > >

> > > 2) make dep
> > >
> > > 3) make clean
> > >
> > > 4) make bzImage
> > >
> > > 5) make modules
> > >
> > > 6) make modules install
> > >
> > > This process exits with these last couple of lines:
> > >
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > make -C  arch/i386/lib modules install
> > > make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.19-16mdk/arch/i386/lib'
> > > make[1]: Nothing to be done for `modules install'.
> > > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.19-16mdk/arch/i386/lib'
> > > cd /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdkcustom; \
> > > mkdir -p pcmcia; \
> > > find kernel -path '*/pcmcia/*' -name '*.o' | xargs -i -r ln -sf ../{}
> > > pcmcia if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map
> > > 2.4.19-16mdkcustom; fi
> > > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> > > /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdkcustom/kernel/drivers/hotplug/ibmphp.o
> > > depmod:         IO APIC get PCI irq vector
> > >
> > > </snip>
> > >
> > > It must be possible to build the kernel with ACPI, but without APIC as
> > > I have seen numerous website who suggest doing just that. Is this
> > > something specific to the mandrake kernel? Maybe I'll try the stock
> > > one.
> > >
> > > Any help is greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Sascha Noyes
> >
> > I owned a Toshiba Satellite until recently that depended on acpi for IRQ
> > routing and found that I could only get things running smoothly if I
> > compiled a vanilla kernel,with the latest acpi patch from sourceforge
> > (http://sourceforge.net/projects/acpi) None of the standard distribution
> > kernels seemed to do the job fully and it is difficult to get suitable
> > patches for them, so I would just compile your own.Using the options you
> > mentioned should then be fine, I think.
> >
> > David
>
> My toshiba sat had the same problems until I moved to cooker.  Cooker
> kernel (2.4.20-2) has acpi on by default and works great.  Stable as hell
> even though it is a development release.  Worth a try and no more kernel
> recompiles.

I've installed cooker and 9.0 on the laptop. Unfortunately cooker locks hard
early in the boot process (It's got something to do with an IRQ, IIRC), even
before logging begins. Apparently with the presario 700 series you have to
disable APIC in the kernel though, i tried booting with 'noapic' and with
ACPI enabled, but that locked up as well. I tried recompiling the cooker
kernel to suit my needs, but ran into trouble rather early in the process
(during make bzImage), anyway I'll post that to the cooker list.

Thanks for the help, I'll try recompiling a standard kernel, I just hope it
plays nicely with the rest of the system.

Sascha

- --
Please encrypt all correspondence.
PGP key available from: