Stefano,

> Miark, your suggestion works, THANKS a lot.

Great to hear it.

> Sorry for asking this further question. I thought that "autofs" was
> useful for mounting ANY filesystem, including read-only NTFS and
> CD-ROMs.

I suppose it is--many people on this list run it. But when you're
running Supermount in addition to AutoFS, there's a conflict of
interest, so to speak. Some people didn't get Supermount working
to their satisfaction, so they stopped running that in favor of
AutoFS. I was the opposite: Supermount works perfectly for me, so
I killed AutoFS instead. I figured it would be the same for you.

> Now, I removed autofs, it properly shuts down and I STILL
> (fortunately) can read my NTFS filesystems and my CDROM.

When you installed Mandrake, it made /etc/fstab entries for all
that stuff. That's why you didn't experience any problems when
you killed AutoFS.

> So, my question is: is autofs used ONLY for NTFS.

No, not to my knowledge. But then again, I'm not really sure
since I'm a Supermount kinda guy.

Miark