On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Praedor Atrebates wrote:

> I am having a major problem trying to edit a postscript image.  I have a
> journal article, pdf format, that I've converted to postscript.  There is a
> figure in this paper that I need.  I cannot extract it with tools like
> pdfimages (don't know why this particular figure is immune but it will not
> come out with that tool).  The only way I can get it is to open up the
> postscript page that the figure is on and crop it down to just the figure.
>
> I have tried and tried to use Gimp but quite honestly, the output/results from
> the Gimp or horrible and unusable.  The image, on the page in postscript
> form, produced with pdf2ps, is beautiful.  The lines are smooth and the text
> is sharp and readable.  Run it through the Gimp, however, and the figure is
> rendered into trash.  The text becomes stairstepped with gaps, and finer
> lines vanish.  I don't understand why pdf2ps can create such a beautiful
> postscript image of a page (text AND figures) but the Gimp butchers it so
> badly.  I NEED this figure.  Is there another tool available to linux that
> can edit postscript images?  All I need to do is crop the ps image/file to be
> just the figure.

You're dealing with two formats here. Gimp is a bitmap only tool,
Postscript is vector based. When you convert the Postscript format to
bitmap you're probably doing it at screen resolution (~ 90dpi). This
would look horrible printed or even re-scaled.  You can either:

1) re-render the Postscript to a large, virtual page, then convert that
2) Zoom in several times using gv until the image fills the screen, then
   screen capture that image.
3) Edit the Postscript directly and retrieve the figure.