The HW list in the Control Centre DOES NOT display my Card. Nothing !
Actually, when I add the cs4232 module to modules.conf (as I was doing with MDK 8.2...), it does not make any difference too. My card, a Crystal Sound 4232 is not recognized.

When I use sndconfig (outside of the X Windows environment) it takes a loooong time to detect something, then it detects a "Crystal Sound 4232 GAME" (I have never seen this "GAME" label in other versions of MDK) and then it is unable to play any sound !

When I use the Sound Server in KDE, it does not produce any sound but it always complain about the fact that there I should run "artswrapper"....

So, my card is a Crystal Sound 4232. I am on a Dell Precision 610 (minitower).

TIA

/Stefano

J. Grant wrote:

hi

ok, go to the control centre, ouais c'est centre en anglais aussi !

Clique Hardware->Hardware list, then click on your sound card, maybe you can change the driver or option there, mine has 2 different drivers available.

If not look in the kernel sources /usr/src/linux/doc

please email me on the list if you want further infomation, as everyone else can help then too!

ciao

JG

Stefano Pogliani wrote:

JG,

would you mind to help me? I do not have your sound card but actually I am not having ANY SOUND out of my MDK 9.0
I do not know at all how to use ALSA (how to try it... as a last resort....). I have a Crystal Sound 4232.

If you could help, thanks a lot!!

/stefano

(In MDK Control Center I do not see any info about Sound)

J. Grant wrote:

Hi,
It is working currently, after changing the module to es1968 specifically in mdk control centre (which updated /etc/modules.conf)

David Bowie is playing a reasonable speed again :)

JG

J. Grant wrote:

Hi,

I am having problems getting perminant sound out of my laptop the spec
is as follows:

Laptop Adagio (38W2) Same as DELL Inspiron 7500 Purchased June 2001

ESS Technology ES1978 Maestro 2E (rev 10)
maestro: Configuring ESS Maestro 2E found at IO 0x1400 IRQ 7
maestro: subvendor id: 0x001114c0
maestro: not attempting power management.
maestro: AC97 Codec detected: v: 0x83847609 caps: 0x6940 pwr: 0xf
maestro: 1 channels configured.
maestro: version 0.15 time 17:26:57 Sep 23 2001

From the bootup

ALSA driver (version 0.9.0rc2) is already running.
Setting mixer settings aumix: error opening mixer [FAILED]

/etc/modules.conf
alias sound-slot-0 maestro

$ /sbin/lsmod |grep snd
snd-es1968 14316 0 (unused)
snd-pcm 55808 0 [snd-es1968]
snd-timer 9964 0 [snd-pcm]
snd-mpu401-uart 2752 0 [snd-es1968]
snd-rawmidi 12864 0 [snd-mpu401-uart]
snd-seq-device 3836 0 [snd-rawmidi]
snd-ac97-codec 25508 0 [snd-es1968]
snd 24804 0 [snd-es1968 snd-pcm snd-timer
snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device snd-ac97-codec]
soundcore 3780 0 [snd]

$ ll /dev/sound
total 0
crw------- 1 now3d root 14, 3 Jan 1 1970 dsp
crw------- 1 now3d root 14, 0 Jan 1 1970 mixer

Other than the funky dates this looks normal, my desktop has same access
permissions.

I did the following before starting X/KDE

[root@np850 root]# service alsa restart
Shutting down ALSA sound driver (version 0.9.0rc2): [ OK ]
[root@np850 root]# service sound restart

it is wierd that ALSA is just stoping and not restarting!! but anyway,
sound played, but it was aobut 20% faster than it should have been.
David Bowie suddenly sounded like the BeGees!

So I rebooted, started KDE, sound was not working, Xmms was not working
etc, i ssh'd in from another machine and did the same commands as
before, and its now playing at normal speed again! "There's a star man
waiting in the sky..."

So I have a rarther strange situation, I'm not sure how to make this
perminant, I could put the commands in rc.local, but it seems to only
work when I issue the commands afer X/KDE has started. Any ideas?

My laptop sound was working fine in 8.1.

Best regards

JG