Argh, another broken reply-to... (yes, I know it's RFC-compliant to do
this... it's also RFC-compliant to have a non-contiguous IPv4 subnet
mask and you don't see people doing _that_ little bit of insanity do
you?)

On Thu, 2002-12-26 at 01:55, Colin Jenkins wrote:
> Hi all ,
> I have asked this question on the newbie list, but have had no luck so
> far....
> The script below works ok from the command line but when I run it as a
> cron job, it starts ok, but stops after backing up a few directories.
> Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? is it a bug with cron?
> btw, I'm using mdk9 and the files being backed up are on an nt server,
> but have had the same problem backing up an xp box.
> I had the same problem with drakebackup, tar and cp
>
> #!/bin/sh
> smbtar -s elendil -t /dev/st0 -x "stuff1" -v -i  -X System\ Volume\ Information
> mt -f /dev/st0 offline

usually this sort of error is due to differing environment or
permissions. If it's a user's crontab ($crontab -e) then you need to su
to that user and debug from there. If it's root's crontab (#vi
/etc/crontab) then make sure root can run it from command line.

Another possibility is that the network is fine when you're debugging,
but congested by other traffic when your cron job runs. Try doing
something less sensitive to network issues, like rsync'ing to a temp
directory a couple of times, then tar'ing that temp directory to the
tape.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...