I correct myself:

Ron Stodden wrote:

I believe the arp command probably has the ability to change the eth number based on the MAC address of the NIC.
Should be:

I believe the arp command probably has the ability to change the kernel-assigned eth number by using the MAC of the NIC at the other end of the link as a link identifier, a known reference point, assumed not to change.

arp can tell you the value of that MAC. For this reason, it's a good idea to stick a label on all your network devices showing the MAC. MACs are assigned uniquely by the device manufacturer. They are non-volatile on the NIC, but can be changed by a driver command..

See: man arp

--
Ron. [Melbourne, Australia]
troels... now updated to use ftp.sunet.se server.