John Haywood wrote:
As the subject says, I've got a client machine running XP which can browse the server, see the shares, see the printer, but when trying to access it says that permission is denied, or somesuch (in Windowsspeak)

Now, the server has the printers defined with guest access, client-side drivers (which Windows detects and installs correctly), and the client can access the home and general-access shares on the machine (after I set ZoneAlarm to allow my internal network to function)
Any ideas where to go from here? Websites welcome, but I'm pretty googled out right now....

cheers
I have the same setup. This is what I used at home:

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
guest ok = yes
writable = no
printable = yes
create mode = 0700
print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r # using client side printer drivers.
browseable = yes

[print$]
path = /var/lib/samba/printers
browseable = yes
read only = yes
write list = @adm root richard driver

I dunno if that's "right", but it works. I remember that unless a user was listed in the "write list" I'd get some wierd error about permission, even when I was able to see the printer and install it on XP.

--
Bryan Whitehead
SysAdmin - JPL - Interferometry Systems and Technology