Mandrake's behaviour is correct as far as I can see.  It has no way to
resolve hostnames (hosts file, nis, dns, ...).

As far as winDOS is concerned, I cannot answer exactly why it does work
because I don't know your particular situation.  Maybe it is because you
use NetBUI or winbind.
Most M$ networking features work through broadcasts, which seriously
impacts the performance of a network when a large number of hosts are
doing this (and is often incorrect).
That is why they can use the preconfigured names.  The Windos boxes
intercept the broadcasts of all others.  Linux does not.

I don't know how you can find out where winDOS gets its resolution
information...

Kind regards

Guy

--