Hello,

I have been using Mandrake Linux since version 7 and have loved all but
one thing about it. I have yet to be able to compile a kernel on
Mandrake. I have successfully compiled kernels on Debian, Slackware,
Red-Hat, and various other systems but never successful on Mandrake.
Every time i have tried it has failed due to Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable
to mount root fs on 16:05. In case the line above that has any
significance it reads ds: No Socket Drivers Loaded! Some may say that
this is due to incorrect modules selected during compilation but this is
not true in my case because i have left the default Mandrake 9 kernel
sources in /usr/src/linux and then extracted the 2.4.20 sources in
/usr/src/linux-2.4.20 i then cd into /usr/src/linux-2.4.20 and did make
oldconfig

This should have built the 2.4.20 kernel using the .config file from the
Mandrake sources which would have basically enabled everything and left
my system in a working status.

Please help.

Thanks

Mike