On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 06:14, Michael Adams wrote:
> Forgive my stupidity, but i thought Linux was based on the System V system
> and BSD (Berkley System Distribution) was a different flavour of Unix to
> Linux. Not all unices are the same but Linux is heading to the posix/LSB
> standard to make it easier for more program compatability.

In the beginning, linux as a whole was pretty unjelled.  Some distros
mirrored the BSD filesystem (BSD in this context and below meaning a
reference to the filesystem and not the distro in toto) and others like
Red Hat went straight for a System V layout.  I'm glad they did that,
because it directly influenced Mandrake.

To be fair though, my post was a rather gestapoish letter with respect
to BSD influence, blowing off some steam on the frustrations I've had
with Slackware in the past.  In all fairness, there have been quite a
few ideas taken from the BSD side and integrated into Linux as a whole.
If I remember correctly, the /proc filesystem was one such example of a
BSD rip.

By and large, tho...IMO the present Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS)
is more of a System V layout with handy addons than it is anything else.

> Of course non-standard versions will and should occur where somebody thinks
> they have a better way. Time, testing and adoption practises hopefully will
> prevail in proving this correct or not (Advertising and monetary backing
> meant VHS prevailed over Beta).
> </newbie crawls off soapbox and hides under bed>
>
> I have noticed on my short time on this list that most questions should have
> been posted <newbie> first anyway.
>

> > Here's a layout of a BSD filesystem:
> >
> > http://www.washington.edu/R870/img/BSD-dir.gif
> >
> > Layout of System V:
> >
> > http://www.washington.edu/R870/img/V4-dir.gif
> >
> > System V filesystems are very highly organized and use directory
> > structure to great advantage in categorization, which is what it's
> > supposed to be used for.  For instance, Sys V /etc uses subdirs to
> > categorize configuration and initialization files.  Sys V /dev
> > categorizes device files in subs also as another example.
> >
> > BSD file structures *by contrast* are not very organized.  In fact BSD
> > is kind of annoying, if you want to know the truth about it.  One thing
> > that used to fry my eggs was the way everything was just dumped into
> > /etc; no subs.  Another was the lack of a decent comprehensive organized
> > system of initialization files.  I can pretty much nutshell it by saying
> > that the most annoying thing about BSD is that it's not System V.

--LX

--
Kernel  2.4.18-6mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.2