While setting up Samba and a multitude of other things I have lost the
user name for a particular user ID. The user can log in via the
graphical log in and they can use most of the default programs however
anything that requires the use of kdesu fails. They can use a terminal
and the su command but I don't particularly like this set up.

When they fire up a terminal the following error message appears:
        id: cannot find name for user ID 500
        [I have no name!@box name withheld in this posting for security]

I have deleted and reassigned this user (using Mandrake's Control
Center) two or three times which was a pain due to all the file
associations and config files. This has not remedied the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Running ML 9.0 and kde3.

Thanks,
Clif