How about webmin... Yes I know the legion of complaints against "gui"
tools, BUT it just might save you here..  You ftp up the rpm and have
you DE (distant end) fingers type rpm -Uvh webmin(tab) and after it
grunts for a few seconds you can then login as root with your root
password. (btw the default in MDK is over ssl so it is reasonably secure
for all but the ultra paranoid.)

Under the system tab you can review logs. Install packages (either over
the net or from a local (to you or to it) file.

Under others you can check system status. And most important.  Run
single shell commands, and view the output.

It's not just like being there.. BUT it is a "side door" that just might
let you in enough to get ssh working so that the real work can begin.  I
know this only because I've used it.  Just for this purpose. (passwd
file got munged on my user, no ssh in as root.  Logged in repaired..
logged out woo hooooo!)

Once it's up consider this... Choose wisely a second door into this
box.  From across the room the console is an option from across the
nation you have to have two legit ways in.  Otherwise you end up just
like you are right now.  I used to maintain two servers in Amsterdam, I
learned the hard way. (Fortunately my partner was a crackers cracker.
The kind who is so good he won't do it because it costs money to get the
reputation, and he broke into his own server.)

James