Chuck;
When you first log in, pop open a terminal window, and type "glxinfo". It seems to improve performance on my box (and several others).

Just a test...

Ric

Chuck Burns wrote:
I kind of discovered this by accident. I noticed that whenever ANY
application is fullscreen, and I move a window over the top of it, it's
nice and snappy, but when I move a window around over the root window,
metacity's (the gnome WM) CPU usage skyrockets, and I believe this could
be my problem. Is there anyone who has a GeForce2 with the nvidia 4191
drivers installed that could do the following for me for comparison
sake?

1) Log into gnome, verify you're using metacity as the window manager (
this is the default) also with Mandrake 9.0 (NOT cooker, or any previous
version)

2) Open up gnome-terminal, and drag it around for a few seconds, to see
how it responds. I can drag fine for about a second or so, then it gets
really choppy.

3) Open any other app, make it fullscreen.. open a child window, and
drag IT around, and see if there's a noticeable difference. There is a
huge difference for me.

Thanks a lot..

Chuck