On Friday 10 January 2003 10:20 am, T E wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Perhaps this is a newbie question, but I would really
> like your expert opinion :)  - (I can repost to
> newb-list if it gets to hot in here)
>
> My question is: what are the main differences between
> MNF and SNF?  I believe I heard MNF was built on mdk
> 8.2 and is for larger networks while SNF was built on
> mdk 7.2 and works best for small networks.

I hate their naming conventions for their firewalls. I LOVE their
implementations. My opinion is the older one shouldn't be used, since there
are vulnerabilities unless it is patched is probablyl not safe. The gui looks
almost identical between the two. The older of the two only supports 2 nics.
The newer one supports at least 3 because I am setting one up and it bound
all three. I don't think it is fair to say one is for small networks and the
other big ones. ?

> I have played around with MNF and am very impressed
> with the easy to use web-based GUI!  However, I have
> two concerns before I research to heavily into this:
>
> 1) MNF may be overkill. While I will need as heavy
> protection as possible, there is only one network
> (20-30 WS), and one to five servers
> including an email server...for now.
>
> 2) MNF is not free.  Well sort of.  Correct me if I'm
> wrong here, but I thought I read somewhere that the
> updates must be payed for after the 1st 6 mo.  Free is
> a critical component at this stage.
>
> Based on what I've put here, would you guys suggest
> SNF?  If so, is it available on most MDK mirros?
> Thanks in advance...

I highly recommend the newer one. I don't believe there is any time bomb, and
I'm not sure if they require money after 6 months, although it is certainly
worth what ever it is they charge. I subscribe, so haven't actually purchased
a shrink wrap one. I think they get more money by just donating so that is
what I did.