On Sunday 12 January 2003 08:42 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] scribbled incoherently:
> All;
> Ok, I'm ready to dump the whole thing in the bay. I have a server gone
> mad.
>
> After a power failure, the server came back in a very unstable state. So
> far, any efforts to fix it, seem to only make it worse. Every time I
> think I have it fixed, something else seems to go wrong.
>
> As it stands, "most" everything seems to be working, except mail. Im
> running imap on it. Any effort to check the mail, from either inside, or
> outside the lan results in the address of the host checking the mail
> getting blocked. The following lines get added to /var/log/messages
>
> Jan 12 16:29:36 ibu portsentry[2696]: attackalert: TCP SYN/Normal scan
> from host: chantika.keluarga.lan/192.168.100.3 to TCP port: 143
> Jan 12 16:29:36 ibu portsentry[2696]: attackalert: Host 192.168.100.3
> has been blocked via wrappers with string: "ALL: 192.168.100.3"
>
> Can anyone shed some light on what's causing any effort to check the
> mail to be interpreted as an SYN attack?
>
> in short: HELP!!!!!
>
> THanks!!
>
> Ric

Hi Ric,

The very first thing I'd do is turn PS completely off. Better yet...just take
the little bugger outa there cause in the long run that app is more trouble
at times then it's worth. Once that thing isn't present to muck up the works
you may have an easier time debugging the situation.

I was running into that for a while some time back and got so sick of PS doing
that very thing to me I just took it out. I've not been having any troubles
like it since. And I'm still able to keep track of connections to the box
just as well. It just gets done a little differently now.
--
Mark
Linux User Since 1996