Finally the beta1 partition crashes; I was waiting for this since my
Mandrake 9.0 couldn't read the /dev/hdb13 partition with 9.1 (in the
list there are several messages about some kind of incompatibility
between ext2 and ext3 from 9.0 and 9.1). After a kernel panic, my hdb
seemed to have crash, not reboot posible, lilo just start with LI :-(

Fortunately, after switch off completely the computer, lilo starts again
and I have been able to run 9.0, but not 9.1. To solve the problems, I
formated the /dev/hdb13 from 9.0 and in the new installation of 9.1 I
didn't format this partition (/ for 9.1). Nevertheless, some of the
problems with the installation appeared again, so I will show them:

1) If I choise select individual packages the screen is broken, I could
select packages, but I can see the OK button to start the installation,
so I can't continue. I had to select the packages by default and then
the installation follow without major problems. I don't know if this
could be due to the Geforce 4 video-card of is general.

2) I can't select "don't install lilo nor grub", so as I liked to have
Mandrake 9 and its lilo as my stable system the only way is after the
installation start the computer with the Mandrake 9.0 floppy, go to the
control center, and even not mading changes accept and then the mandrake
9.0 lilo configuration runs again. I just have to copy in /boot of 9.0
some of the files of /boot 9.1 and add a new entry for 9.1.

3) urpmi installed de CD 1 media, but it dosn't run at all. I had to
erase it (urpmi.remove) and create again as a new media (urpmi.addmedia)
and now is runing fine.

4) Again my second cd-drive (dvd, /dev/hdd) is not accesible. I have
tryed erasing the link and creating it again in several ways, but can't
access to it. Could be a problem with the start from 9.0 lilo. In fact I
just have added the line hdc=ide-scsi but with cdrecord --scanbus both
cd-drives appears as scsi-emulation??????? I will try this night
creating and using a 9.1 floppy.

5) I have downloaded several files from cooker. I am having problems
with the OpenOffice (can't start) and kwintv is (as under 9.0) giving
the error of not device to select.

6) During the installation it seemed that my cable modem was well
configured. In fact I can ping to the dns servers, but internet didn't
run. I have seen that the dhcp main file wasn't installed, also the
/etc/resolf.conf wasn't configured. After install the dhcp file and put
in the resolv.conf the dns of my cable modem server, internet started to
be accesible. I had a similar problem in the first installation test.
Could be a bug?

7) No printers avalaible during installation. I choose cups but when I
try to install a printer noone aceesible (I have 2, a usb epson and a
parallel hp laserjet). After start for the first time 9.1 I was able to
install bot, even the epson was directly recognized in the usb port.

8) To install monitor and video-card I had to select the button, it
wasn't start automatically. I had selectd the correct monitor (Philips
107S) and the XFree driver for Geforce 4. The test was OK, but when I
start 9.1 for the first time X wasn't accesible. I had to run XFdrake as
root, select the same parameters and then X started to run. Bug??

9) The kde menu showed some big icons at the top and others small. This
was solved installing kde-multimedia from cooker, so I think is a file
we must have in included in the next beta.

10) I lik so much the new cursor appearence, with a beautifull shadow.

Francisco Alcaraz
Murcia (Spain)