Thanks for the responses,

Here's what I think I've learned (please correct me):

1) Mutt doesn't have any SMTP code (although oddly it appears that
the Windows very does??)
2) sendmail/postfix/qmail/exim - full blown mail servers that for
my single workstation seems a bit overblown. They also appear to
like having a 'real' domain names to work with.
3) gui apps that require XFree86 like Kmail/Sylpheed that do
pop/imap reading, and smtp/auth sending. Perfect if I run a Gui.
4) some simple daemons that do smtp like nullmailer, but do
not do smtp/auth. (There's an open invitation to add that to
nullmailer (if you're good at C++) on their mailing list).

Has anyone run into a similar roadblock trying to Mutt without
postfix/sendmail?

TIA,
Bill

--