Herein lies part of the problem.
I don't want to use a file for scaleability reasons and I can't think of any reason why it should be nescesary. In theory I should be able to store all of the text in a shell variable and then redirect the output of echo to ldapadd. So far I can get the text in but when I pass it to ldapadd it executes, returns no error messages but the new record does not show up on the ldap server. Since it works from the command line using an ldif file it logically cannot be an issue of access to the server. Also, no encryption is currently enabled. Now
Whoops, accidentally sent the message before finishing it.
As I was going to say, the idea of not having the delimiters correct has some merit as I wouldn't know either way. How can I check or set them?