I've set up BIND in a chroot before, but what surprises me is now that I
have the files set up, the only thing that it complained about when I
started it up was /dev/random missing (which was a quick mknod).

This is the structure I have at the moment:

/var/named
/var/named/dev
/var/named/dev/random
/var/named/etc
/var/named/etc/localtime
/var/named/etc/named.conf
/var/named/etc/rndc.conf
/var/named/etc/rndc.key
/var/named/var
/var/named/var/run
/var/named/var/run/named
/var/named/var/run/named/named.pid
/var/named/namedb
/var/named/namedb/named.ca
/var/named/namedb/named.local
<insert other misc zone files>

LSOF seems to indicate that it's mapping the libraries from outside the
chroot jail. Isn't it not supposed to do that?

I was expecting it to complain about the libraries, and if Mandrake just
had the example directory structure and nothing more, to use ldd to find
what libraries I needed to copy over, make an ld.so.conf and use ldconfig
to make an ld.so.cache...

Slightly confused :) What I have on another system (running 8.2) is:

/var/named
/var/named/bin
/var/named/bin/ldconfig
/var/named/dev
/var/named/dev/log
/var/named/dev/null
/var/named/dev/random
/var/named/etc
/var/named/etc/group
/var/named/etc/rndc.key
/var/named/etc/passwd
/var/named/etc/localtime
/var/named/etc/rndc.conf
/var/named/etc/ld.so.conf
/var/named/etc/ld.so.cache
/var/named/lib
/var/named/lib/libpthread-0.9.so
/var/named/lib/libnsl.so.1
/var/named/lib/ld-2.2.4.so
/var/named/lib/libc-2.2.4.so
/var/named/lib/ld-linux.so.2
/var/named/lib/libdl.so.2
/var/named/lib/libdl-2.2.4.so
/var/named/lib/libpthread.so.0
/var/named/lib/libc.so.6
/var/named/lib/libnsl-2.2.4.so
/var/named/var
/var/named/var/run
/var/named/var/run/named.pid
/var/named/var/lock
/var/named/var/lock/subsys
/var/named/var/lock/subsys/named
/var/named/usr
/var/named/usr/lib
/var/named/usr/lib/libcrypto.so
/var/named/usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0
/var/named/usr/sbin
/var/named/usr/sbin/rndc
/var/named/usr/sbin/named
/var/named/namedb
/var/named/namedb/named.conf
<other misc zone files under CVS control>

--Nathan