along those same lines ... what this doesn't prevent is msec changing content in certain files. for example, I want to change some settings in /etc/syslog.conf, but msec keeps changing it back (msec's email reports says so). Listing the file in perm.local does not keep msec from changing it back. I've been looking through the code trying to find the exact part that does this, to see if there's an exception file like perm.local. so far I haven't found it. Has anyone else?

Thanks,
Cory

. wrote:
create a file in /etc/security/msec called perm.local. In this file put an entry like:

/fully/qualified/file owner.group <perms>

... where <perms> is the octal permissions like 4755 for suid

Derek Simkowiak wrote:

I have installed an RPM. It creates a file /usr/sbin/exim that is
SUID, which is the way it needs to be.

But after a while that file eventually loses its SUID bit,
automatically. (Figuring out WTF was happening was quite a frustrating
experience, if I may say.)

So, what program is doing this? The only one I can think of is
msec, but I cannot find any documentation about msec saying that it will
change file permissions; I only find documentation saying that it will
report certain files as being SUID.

I do not have X windows on this box, so I need to know what text
configuration file to change. At the least, I'd like to know what program
does this.

Thank You,
Derek Simkowiak
[EMAIL PROTECTED]