Daryl Johnson wrote:

There appears to be something seriously wrong with the setup here. The writer (an HP 9100) appears to be /dev/scd0 mounted as /mnt/cdrom2.

Permissions are as follows:

/dev/scd0 Block Device
rw-rw---- daryl cdwriter scsi/host1/bus0/target2/lun0/cd

/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target2//lun0/cd
rw-rw---- daryl cdwriter

In Gnome-Toaster the preferences refuses to scan the bus to find the writer automatically. The settings entered manually are :

Device File /dev/scd0 Scsi ID 1,0,2,0
Mountpoint /mnt/cdrom2

Drive is a CD writer
Use SCSI Interface for DAE

The file on the cd is recognised but attempting to blank the Cdr/w produces the remark:

couldn't run client. Permission denied

GCombust recognises the CD writer on the bus and identifies the correct unit but when asked to check the scsi settings produces the remark:

cdrecord failed to recognise the selected drive
(wrong SCSI settings or no permission to device)!

X-CD-Roast is the least fussy as it identifies the writer by name, identif#ies the bus and location and appears happy to delete a file from the cd - but it doesn't burn a cd that is recognised by a Windoze m/c

Sheesh.

regards

Daryl

You didn't say which version of Mandrake you are using. I'm using version 9.0 and had some problems when the system was set to use supermount. I disabled supermount and entered myself as a member of the cdwriter group.

As root:
#supermount -i disable
#adduser <user name> cdwriter

Larry