On Monday 20 January 2003 06:21 am, KevinO wrote:
> I just want to be able to get a connection without having to pay $20 a day
> for an ethernet connection. I will be traveling through London, Paris and
> Amsterdam.

how does that work?  you still need to get the internet feed from
somewhere.  if you're not paying for the ethernet connection
(presumably at hotels), whose wireless network are you going
to connect to?  or are you going to be sniffing for open networks
and leech off them? :).

> Will Mandrake 8.0 be current enough or should I upgrade ?

i had lots of trouble getting my d-link WPC11 working on 8.2.  basically,
i had to build my own kernel and it was a major pain (because i have
a bunch of other patches that i need, mainly win4lin, and it took weeks
to get everything straightened out because of conflicts in the patches
that i had to clean up myself despite not being a kernel geek at all) to
get everything working.  i think i had to download the latest wireless-tools
too.  at the time though, the d-link WPC11 wasn't well supported.  it's now
supported by stock MDK 9.0.  if you're going with some of the more
common cards though, you might be able to get them working in 8.0.

if it were my box i'd upgrade.   it was just too painful getting things to
work right in 8.2 and if it works out of the box, that's where i want to
be :).  and 8.0 is old enough, that i don't think a lot of cards will work
(well, maybe the Orinoco Bronze, but that's not worth using anymore,
since it doesn't support WEP).

tiger

--
Gerald Timothy Quimpo  tiger*quimpo*org gquimpo*sni-inc.com tiger*sni*ph
Public Key: "gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 672F4C78"