Am Montag, 20. Januar 2003 07:28 schrieb bascule:

> so, what have i forgotten, it's clear that
> #hostname -f gives the required result but i still get:
> [root@mycroft bascule]# mail bascule
> Subject: test
> Cc: Null message body; hope that's ok
> [root@mycroft bascule]# send-mail: warning: My hostname mycroft is not a
> fully qualified name - set myhostname or mydomain in
> /etc/postfix/main.cf postdrop: warning: My hostname mycroft is not a
> fully qualified name - set myhostname or mydomain in
> /etc/postfix/main.cf
> [root@mycroft bascule]#

postfix calculates the domainname from your hostname. so a hostname like
my.hostname.com results in a domainname hostname.com. if your hostname is
simply my, there is no way to get the domain name. so either specify your
hostname as bascule.excession or change the entries mydomain and
myhostname in /etc/postfix/main.cf.

btw: please disable the chroot settings of postfix. This stuff brings only
confusion to the user. Why handle two resolv.conf etc. and even Wietse
Venema says: only experienced users should use chroot.

> note i haven't touched ../main.cf or ../main.cf.default and i don't see
> why i should since i didn't touch them on a previous box i installed 9.0
> on, the only difference here is that this is a clean install and the
> other install was an upgrade from 8.2
>
> so if there any ideas beyond 'this is really simple man just issue
> #hostname mycroft.excession'
> and 'edit /etc/sysconfig/network' or 'edit /etc/hosts' or 'you can't be
> doing it right', i would be grateful to hear them
>
> bascule

Martin
H E L I X Gesellschaft für Software & Engineering mbH
Hanauer Landstrasse 52              Telefon (069) 4789 35-30
60314 Frankfurt am Main             Telefax (069) 4789 35-44
http://www.helix-gmbh.net                [EMAIL PROTECTED]