On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 07:01, John Rye wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm trying again, now that I've had some hair re-growth
>
> Anyone had experience with these devices?
>
> I have need of a second //port on my beast (AthlonXP 1.8 on a Soltek
> SL-KT400-A4/L Mobo running stock Mandrake 9.0) to run my ancient but
> reliable Epson GT-4000 scanner (with ADF unit).
>
> The scanner works fine when configured as a GT-5000 or 5500 and run
> off the existing onboard parallel port, however I need a printer as well.
>
> So I obtained a Netmos 9805 card and got it working out of Win98SE
> without too much hassle - but I cannot get it to work out of Linux.
>
> I have since removed all traces of win98 from the box!! Don't need it!
>
> The card is recognised in /proc/pci as follows:
>
>   Bus  0, device  11, function  0:
>     Communication controller: PCI device 9710:9805 (NetMos Technology)(rev 1).
>       IRQ 19.
>       Master Capable.  Latency=64.
>       I/O at 0xe800 [0xe807].
>       I/O at 0xe400 [0xe407].
>       I/O at 0xe000 [0xe007].
>       I/O at 0xdc00 [0xdc07].
>       I/O at 0xd800 [0xd807].
>       I/O at 0xd400 [0xd40f].
>
> As I understand I need to 'insmod parport.o' and then tell 'parport'
> where it is.
>
> Problem is that when I do the 'insmod parport.o' I get:
>
> [root@numbnuts john]# insmod parport.o
> insmod: parport.o: No such file or directory
> [root@numbnuts john]#
>
> I've since removed the '.o' and get a silent return to prompt.
>
> Now I would expect to see another reference to parport in dmesg after a reboot
> but don't see anything different.
>
> Dmesg still only references parport0 as being tied to lp0.
>
> I worked out how to create the second port reference with mknod, and I've got
> that to stick through reboots.
>
> I think I've read everything, but I just can't work this one out.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ok, I have a similar board and mine works this way; there are 6 ports,
with the 1st, 3rd & 5th ports used by the paralled ports (if you have
that many).  I have two, so I use the 1st and 3rd.  The part of the
modules.conf that matters is this:

# Note: Anytime the PCI parallel card is moved to a different
#       PCI slot, the io ports change.  Check the /proc/pci
#       file for the new ones....
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
options parport_pc io=0x378,0xfc70,0xfc88 irq=7,none,none

I would guess that yours should look like this (for one port)

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
options parport_pc io=0x378,0xe800 irq=7,none

Note 1) if you move the board, the ports change and that breaks
        everything...

     2) I'm not using irq's for the 2nd & 3rd ports.  It's more
        efficient if you do, but I haven't messed since it worked
        and the last two parallel ports are rarely used anyway.

Best

Cokey

F. 'Cokey' de Percin, DBA       Email:
CSC                              Work - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Columbia, South Carolina         Home - [EMAIL PROTECTED]