Yes it could be but this is a box that doesn't do anything with ACPI
(Compaq Armada M700)  I did find this thread in Cooker.

http://www.mail-archive.com/cooker@linux-mandrake.com/msg63753.html

And it appears that it's been with us for a while...  The other thing
I've found out is that this is a bug that's been with us for a while...
But it's also limited to certain laptops.  One thing I have found out is
that this is not just the Armada M700 but also a number of other Compaq,
Toshiba's etc.  It also appears that RH introduced the problem. *grin*.

James