Am Freitag, 24. Januar 2003 18:35 schrieb Praedor Atrebates:
> I am running into ridiculous problems with postfix that I do not
> understand. I have a valid fully qualified hostname
> (stonekeep.ravenhome.net).  I have DNS setup (right now by kppp with
> entries for my proper DNS's in my resolv.conf file.
>
> If I ping yahoo.com, no problem, it pings as expected.  If I send an
> email to myself at yahoo.com via my local postfix, however, I get a
> messages thus:
>
> Jan 24 17:29:20 stonekeep postfix/smtp[3701]: 95785402248:
> to=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, relay=none, delay=1565, status=deferred (Name
> service error for yahoo.com: Host not found, try again)
>
> What?! Is postfix retarded?  Why is it not able to use the DNS like
> every other net app on my system?  Why can't it "find" yahoo.com?  I
> have also run into this with a few other email addresses that DO exist
> yet postfix refuses to send because the hostname couldn't be found.
>
> What does it take for postfix to accept DNS reality?  I am not sure that
> this message will get out either but on the off-chance that it
> does...Help please?
>
> I have a number of other problems I need to work out via other mailing
> lists and this inability to mail extant domains is killing me.
>
> praedor

Hi,

this is no postfix nonsens, it is a nonsens in coniguration of postfix by
mandrake. chroot is a very secure way to do something IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU
WANT.

Please, Mandrake, disable the chroot stuff of postfix (at least the default
settings). It is not worth the trubble.

disable all the chroot stuff in /etc/postfix/master.cf and the
configuration is much easier.

Martin
H E L I X Gesellschaft für Software & Engineering mbH
Hanauer Landstrasse 52              Telefon (069) 4789 35-30
60314 Frankfurt am Main             Telefax (069) 4789 35-44
http://www.helix-gmbh.net                [EMAIL PROTECTED]