On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Jorris Graad wrote:

> Can someone tell me how to compile and install modules. Please explain
> it step by step because I'm not an expert at this things.

This depends somewhat on how you acquired the module. If you have some
module sources you can usually do something like this:

gcc  -fno-pic -mno-abicalls -Wall -I/usr/src/linux/include -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__
-DLINUX -c module.c

This will create a module.o file that you can insmod/modprobe.

Some modules are shipped as patches against kernel sources. In this case
you'd need to make sure that you have the kernel sources installed then
do something like:

  cd /path/to/linux/
  patch < patchfile.patch

then rebuild your kernel :)  Seriously, let me know what form your
module sources are in and I can give better instructions.