I already use a mandrake (8.0) box for my home NAT/firewall, and my home network at
present is wired only. I would like to have a wireless access point hosted from this
box as well, to have a little mobile computing available for the folks at home.  I've
tried one appliance wireless router/access points for the SOHO use, but found that it
didn't have enough compute power for "wireless speed" WEP (thru-put was drastically
reduced), so I returned it.

Instead I'm figuring it ought to be possible for the wireless nic (in conjunction with
my MDK NAT box) to act as a wireless access point.  But I'm not confident that this
can be so.  Can someone provide a sanity check?

1.  Is it possible to have a wireless nic (in conjunction with a MDK box) act as a
wireless access point?  I'm assuming yes provided I use HostAP.
2.  What configuration parameters are necessary?  Do I specifically need to have the
"wireless segment" be on a different subnet, or can I use the same subnet as my wired
lan?  If possible I'd prefer having the wireless segment be on the same subnet as the
wired lan, mainly for ease of administration.
3.  Would I be giving up any feature/performance/security doing it this way instead of
using a dedicated appliance access point?  I'm actually hoping that the performance
can be a bit better, especially in the WEP case.
4.  any howto's that are pertinent to this specific issue?

-------