On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 10:38, ddc_prueba wrote:
> Hello world...
>
> I was to play with MTU ethernet parameter in my LAN to see if I can get
> any speed improvement and found out that I can't get it more than
> 1500!!! Here is command and error:
>
> [root@athlon root]# ifconfig eth0 mtu 1600
> SIOCSIFMTU: Invalid argument
>
> [root@athlon root]# ifconfig eth0 mtu 1500
> (no error)
>
> But if I do 'ifconfig' alone it shows me that lo (local loopback
> interface) has a MTU=16436 !!!!
>
> Why can't I get my eth0 card to that MTU (even if it would make net
> slower)???
>
> Thanx to all gurus out there!!!

http://www.ethermanage.com/ethernet/ethernet.html

Some very good reading there...

Basically, 1500 is the MTU of the specification and that's all that the
physical hardware is going to support. You can go smaller in which case
it will be padded out with zeroes by the driver, or you can go smaller
because you're using a virtual device that tunnels over something else
(PPPoE, L2TP, PPTP). Gigabit gear does support a jumbo frame, but it
isn't always used and isn't something to muck with lightly.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...