stefmit wrote:
Hi, everyone,

Please bare with me - have not compiled a new kernel since the days of 1st edition of Yggdrasil ;( - so - just recently got the new ...-24mdk source from the updates, happily installed the source from the rpm, and - confident in my ability of getting in trouble - got into the source directory and did carry out the "standard" compilation, using as a refresher:

http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Compiling_Kernels/Updating_a_Kernel.html
and
http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Compiling_Kernels/20_Steps_to_a_New_Kernel_with_Grub.html

I have "tweaked" the above to be able to salvage the old stuff - just backups of all my stuff, nothing to mess the new compilation, though (which is why I am still able to boot and send you this message), but my new stuff totally failed me, and here is what I get scrolling by my screen, when booting into the new kernel:

busybox: unresolved symbol drop_super_Rc64cc0dd4
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k reiserfs, errno=2
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k freereiserfs, errno=2
kernel panic: no init found ...
and that's it.

I know I compiled everything with the same options I had in the original distro installation ... so - does anybody have a pointer for me? Have you done the ...-24mdk yet? Any other way of doing this, that I may not be aware of (in today's mcc world, I may have lost touch with the automation processing, and - perhaps - there is an automatic compilation based on existing - somehow identified - configuration, which would do everything without the need for "make menuconfig" and baby steps?!?)?

Thx,
Stef

The process that has worked a number of times for me is more automated. Maybe there will be something you could use. It follows the procedure at MUO: http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/install/kupgrade3.html
Basically, what I do is:

1. Install sources (tarball, rpm)
2. cd /usr/src/linux
3. make mrproper
4. make xconfig
5. load config file => /boot/config (This is how the current kernel was
compiled. Don't know how this differs from .config)
6. Make small number of adjustments
7. make dep && make clean && make bzImage && make modules
8. make modules_install && make install

The kernel install script installs the kernel in /boot, mkinitrd --ifneeded, changes links in /boot to point to the new kernel, modifies the bootloader with an entry for the previous kernel. This is how I remember it; I always check /boot and usually have the bootloader on a different install, so I manually check the sanity, at least. The most recent kernel I did this for was 2.4.20-ac1, as I needed to build kernels for my hpt372 controller but the ac patches that allow this controller to work for me have been incorporated in the newer Mandrake kernels in cooker.

Rolf