hmm didn't get through last time, retrying...

wrote:
> > hello.
> >
> > i like selecting text in kde apps using the
> > keyboard(shift+arrow key) but i cannot use the
> > numpad arrow keys because in Xfree86,
> > shift+<numpad key> acts like numlock e.g.:
> >
> > shift+top_arrow = 8
> > shift+bottom_arrow = 2
> > shift+left_arrow = 4
> > shift+right_arrow = 6
> >
> > so everytime i go to select text in kwrite, i
> > start typing numbers instead :(
> >
> > is there a way of configuring the numpad to work
> > like it does in windows? i.e.:
> >
> > arrow_key = movement
> > shift+arrow_key = select text, not numbers
> > *please*!!!
> >
> > numlock+arrow_key = numbers
> > shift+numlock+arrow_key = numbers
> >
> > other than working supermount this is the last
> > thing i need before i (and everyone else in my
> > office) can move to linux, so please are there
> > any suggestions?

hello civileme,

thankyou for your reply.

> I just checked....
>
> numlock comes up ON if you select that during
> install.
>
> if you tap numlock once or select for it to be OFF
> by default during
> install.... number pad arrow keys move the cursor
> and shift-numeric selects text

sounds good...will numlock+numeric give numbers as
well (i need the keyboard to be as close to windows as
possible for my co-workers)? do you know what config
file i should edit (i don't want to reinstall a
nicely-working 9.0 all over again) to get
shift-numeric selecting text?

> If you have numlock ON then shift plus numeric key
> selects text, not produces numbers.

what i do not want is shift and numlock acting like
shift and caps (cancelling each other out).
shift+numeric regardless of numlock should select
text. any ideas?

> 9.0 has (mostly) working supermount.  you need to
> back off (not close) on the /mnt/cdrom directory in
> Konqueror or it will not eject properly.  That
> is a KDE problem.

yes but konqueror is a popular browser/file manager.
if it doesn't work, lmontel should patch konqueror in
the RPMs :-)

many thanks
- Will