On two separate systems, totally different, I find that the kernel build
process fails to produce an initrd.  When one runs "make install" on the
kernel build, part of the process is supposed to be creation of the
appropriate initrd but 9.0 fails in this regard every time, regardless of
kernel, and I have to manually try it.

Problem is, on my laptop initrd fails to work at all - complaining that it
cannot find /dev/loop, cannot find a loopback device even though support for
the loopback device was explicitly set in during make xconfig.

Why is it that 9.0 fails on this basic requirement?  What precisely was broken
in 9.0 vs 8.2?  How does one get loopback working?

praedor