On Wednesday 19 February 2003 09:50 am, James Sparenberg wrote:

> > > supposedly one inserts the new CD and selects LiveUpdate. YMMV.
> >
> > And then spend the best part of a weekend fixing the breakage (if you
> > manage to).
> >
> > Bye
>
> Actually I've had luck with it since about 8.1... in fact I upgraded a
> 7.2 box to 9.0 straight out.   Problems are.
>
> 1.  If you have modified many of your config files you'll find .rpmnew
> extensions all over the place.  Best way to find them is to update the
> locate dbase and do locate rpmnew.
>
> 2.  Live-update is way to slow... boot and do upgrade ... still slow but
> a factor of 5 faster than liveupdate. (it errors too much on the side of
> caution.)
>
> 3.  If you did it from source (not source rpms) things in these areas
> might get mucked.  RPM doesn't know from tarballs.
>
> 4.  Fastest way is to still do an install keeping your partitions and
> /home. (shear time factor.)
>
> James

rpms are not dpkgs and don't follow all the rules that makes dpkg preparation
such a nightmare and keeps Debian out of date.

As a result rpms have limitations....

For one, if you have a %postun stanza in the rpm spec file which removes a
link that was made by the rpm either during installation or in the %post
stanza and you select "update", the %postun stanza is the last thing to run
and blooey--no more link.  There is a way around it using a cat and an at in
the %post and making a temporary filw that re-sets the link and then
self-destructs, which will run only during install (failing to make the link
a second time) or after update (because the at sets the temp file as a script
to run a couple minutes later), and I did supply QA at mandrake with a
screening program to check for the situation with srpms and identify those
needing modification.

The second is packaging/library naming.  RPM can handle some situations
acceptably, but splitting one package into three in the next release is not
one of them, and this is often done for valid engineering reasons.

The point is, want smooth updates, use Debian or at least dpkg and apt-get,
but you PAY for it with the rules associated with the dpkg and the developer
time necessary to make one and to keep it within rules, which tends to keep
Debian seriously behind the leading edge, even with the "unstable" stuff.  As
always, There Aint No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.  You make your choices and
you take your chances.

Civileme