1) bad path
Triple checked the path.  Path is fine.

2) not in $PATH inherited by samba process
I'm not sure if I understand this one. Do you mean that /usr/share/samba/scripts needs to be in root's path?

3) commented out in smb.conf
Nope.  It is not commented out.

4) not using the smb.conf you think it is (naaaaw, never happened to me :)
Unlikely.  I have only one smb.conf

5) executing it as a different user than root for some reason (though
I've never seen that)
Me either.

Modify it so that it calls a wrapper script and in that wrapper script,
log all the options that are being passed to it and what uid it's
running as.
The options are straight forward.

add user script = /usr/share/samba/scripts/smbldap-useradd.pl -w -d /dev/null -g Machines -s /bin/false %u

...and according to the docs the script *must* be run as root... still I need to be sure at this point. How can I write such a script? Since the options are as noted above, I should probably just echo the $USER environment variable, yes?

What about changing to a higher log level? Right now I am at 3.

Jim C.