On Monday 24 February 2003 08:43 pm, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 17:36, Todd Lyons wrote:
> > Lyvim Xaphir wrote on Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 12:46:46PM -0500 :
> > > I think things are moving a little too fast.  There are alot of new
> > > people getting involved with cooker development, and I feel like 9.1 is
> > > going to be released before this leverage reaches full potential.  I
> > > just started bugzilla posting myself this weekend, and already they are
> > > pushing towards rc2.  I think that it's more important that this distro
> > > be bullet proof, than it is for it to be released early in order to
> > > make a grab for sales.  If it's bulletproof, then the sales will be
> > > there.
> >
> > More people should have gotten involved earlier.  There's been a month
> > of betas and plain Cooker before that.  The beta cycle started a month
> > ago,
>
> Precisely, and that is what I would like to know about.  Yes I know that
> historically Mandrake has had a 6 month release cycle.  However I have
> seen other projects much less complicated than the Mandrake distro
> tackled with much longer beta cycles, and most of the time the benefits
> were substantial.  So the question I have is, why the short beta cycle?
> Is it because Red Hat does it too?  Take for example the distro
> obsolescence announcement that RH put out not too long ago.  It did not
> escape me that Mandrake turned around and made the same move shortly
> thereafter.
>
> There are alot of anologies between the RH releases and the Mandrake
> releases.
>
> RH phoebe v8.1beta3 2003/02/19
> LM 91RC1          2003/02/18
>
> RH psyche v8.0            2002/09/30
> LM dolphin 9.0            2002/09/25
>
> RH Valhalla v7.3    2002/05/06
> LM bluebird 8.2     2002/03/18
>
> RH enigma v7.2      2001/10/22
> LM vitamin 8.1      2001/09/27
>
> RH seawolf v7.1     2001/04/16
> LM traktopel 8.0    2001/04/20
>
> RH guiness v7.0     2000/08/30
> RH zoot v6.2              2000/03/08
> LM ulysses 7.2            2000/10/30
> LM helium 7.1             2000/06/13
> LM air v7.0               2000/01/14
>
> RH cartman v6.1     1999/09/27
> RH hedwig v6.0            1999/04/19
> LM helios v6.1            1999/09/14
> LM venus v6.0             1999/05/27
> LM festen 5.3             1999/02/11
>
> RH apollo v5.2            1998/10/14
> LM leeloo v5.2            1998/12/01
>
> RH manhattan v5.1   1998/05/11
> LM venice 5.1             1998/07/23
>
> I note that above RH and LM are neck and neck except for years 1999 and
> 2000, where Mandrakesoft released one MORE distro than RH did.  Is six
> months or one month beta time (or LESS) a sacred cow?  These questions
> are not even really originally my own, they were raised by a  friend of
> mine (a fan of LM) to me in casual conversation.  As I had not
> considered it before, I didn't have an answer.  Now that I see no dust
> on the 9.0 boxes, I begin to wonder myself.

The reality is that six months is where sales of boxed sets take a nose dive.
The need to put paychecks before developers who are giving 80-90 hours a week
to the effort dictates the release schedule.  If mandrake were supported the
way Enlightenment is, then you would see a relaxed release schedule depending
on spare time of volunteers, just as it is with E 0.17 which will appear
someday when people least expect it and be nigh on to perfection out of the
box.

But if that is what you desire, consider Debian, or Mandrake Corporate Server
which has a 12-month development cycle.

> The voting system is just now beginning to impact the distro development
> process btw, and it's sucking people in, and yes people are scrambling.
> But these things take time.
>
> > and now that code freeze has hit is when people start screaming.
> > All the things people are begging for now should have been asked for
> > last month.  Now that it's too late, people are saying "delay it".  Well
> > the schedule was announced a month ago.  A month ago is when people
> > should have started this discussion.
>
> Perhaps the fans and customers *are* annoying at times.  But no matter
> how much they may be, the fact remains that the sharks and snakes
> outside the mailing lists out there in the internet media world are ten
> times worse.  These are your buddies here, not your enemies.  I do agree
> that the need for information to your "common masses" is needed, because
> not everybody is in a position to either a) gain access to current
> cooker quick enough on a regular basis to launch their own private
> development campaign or b) has other reasons why they can't participate,
> such as RL.  I'm a good example; I could be billing for time right now
> rather than writing this and syncing up with a cooker mirror.
>
> Alot of people on the lists have valid opinions or questions as fans or
> customers, but have other things to do other than concentrate on another
> mailing list that they wouldn't be able to participate in anyway; when
> they could be informed on the non-development lists with a synopsis from
> a veteran such as civileme.  Another idea to keep in mind is that the
> crew that participates on the non-devel mailing lists do so out of not
> just a desire to get help but to also give help and input to the
> evolution of the distro out of their own free time (and their money).
> So I think that just brushing them and their concerns aside is a grave
> mistake; no matter when they are submitted.
>

> LX

Yep the voting system is important, and has gone through many mutations to
reach where it is.  The main purpose of the distro is the "WoW" factor for
most users and that tends to increase it.  There are many advocates for that
voting system but until Denis thought of linking it to club membership so
that it generated revenue, ....  Well, let's say it was thought to be more
trouble than it was worth.

Civileme