On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 10:56, Tibor Pittich wrote:
> On 26. feb 2003 09:23, Jack Coates wrote:
>
> > This would be a sweet addition to Mandrake's base install:
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/smartsuite/
> >

> hey, wake up! are you check date of latest version? this is unmaintained
> project, and there is another s.m.a.r.t. capable package into mandrake,
> which called smartmontools (which is my favorite), or ide-smart ..

huh -- wish they'd have said something in the README. It does mention it
on their homepage, but I didn't check it before since a lot of
sourceforge projects don't put anything there at all. As for the date of
2001, that didn't bother me because the version number was high enough
to imply that it had simply hit a stable point; after all, it's just a
utility to dump information from a standard interface, I don't expect
daily changes.

I'll look into the other projects when I get a chance, but this is
working for now. In fact, smartmontools appears to be the same project.
urpmi smartmontools gets nothing. http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
-- excuse me? Don't download the src.rpm? Okaaaaay.... [/me backs slowly
towards exit] A little diffing of the source tarballs shows they are
indeed the same project. src.rpm builds and installs with no issues.
smartd works and smartctl shows same information, only more of it.

well, that was exciting.
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...