SCSI is no longer needed for audio recording, a good ATA100/133 drive should
be fine.

If you're using Cubase or Logic, don't worry about quad processors, both
apps can only utilize 2 processors at best (and even then, the performance
isn't what it should be). A dual Athlon or P3/P4 will be fine if you want.
The real determining factor should be what type of recordings are you going
to do.

If you're recording live instruments and outboard fx, then your concern
should be the hard drive speed and reliability - ATA100/133 or SCSI160 will
be your best bets. You can record 24-64 tracks of audio with a p2-300, lots
of RAM, fast drives, and a low latency audio interface. Raid isn't
necessary. Wasn't necessary back in '98 when we were recording 24 tracks on
a p233mmx, isn't necessary now.

If you're working with more virtual instruments and fx then you need the
processing power, get a fast athlon or p4.

If you want, you can offload some of your fx processing to a dsp card. A TC
Powercore or Mackie UAD-1 will do nicely for all of your fx needs. At the
same time, some audio cards offer dsp for fx and synths too. Look at the
Creamware line of cards, they can give you 1ms of latency AND a ton of fx
and synths thanks to their Analog Devices SHARC DSP chips.

Personally, I record with 100% virtual instruments and fx. I have an AMD
Duron 1.1GHZ w/512MB RAM, Audigy MP3+ for my audio card (that will change in
march to a nice Creamware Luna II). I run Cubase VST32 5.1 with Win2000.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.

George - Logic7/Subject28
http://www.geocities.com/labwerx