On Sunday 02 March 2003 12:12 pm, Steffen Barszus wrote:

> you have at least 5 machines.
>
> 2 Mandrake
> 2 W2k
> 1 win98se

correct, and the server is Mandrake, as well.

> the 2 Mandrake are in one domain. win98se can access the shares of the
> win2k machines. the mandrake machines have only read access ? Right ?

No. This is a dedicated server set-up with clients. The Mandrake server
provides DHCP, WINS, PDC and Samba shares to ALL clients, which are a mixture
of Mandrake and Windows boxes.

The smb.conf is supposedly providing write access to any user that
authenticates (PDC and Samba)

> The win2k machines belongs to another domain or don't use a domain (only
> workgroup)

All machines are on the same domain/workgroup - BUCALO

> As I'm not the guru in this too, I would guess you havent given access to
> write for all. AFAIK is win98 not aware of the domain stuff, so it has no
> problems.

Sort of. I have 'Client for Microsoft Networks' on the Win 98 box set to logon
to a Primary Domain Controller, who's domain name is BUCALO. This is as I use
to have it when my PDC was a NT 4.0 server.

> But the user from the other domain (mdk) belongs to another
> domain so technoslick != technoslick.mdkdomain => user unknown => gets
> rights as a guest => no write access

All boxes are part of the same domain. The Mandrake workstations can see the
shares and view them, per the authenticity of the user's logon. They just
can't write to the the shares. It doesn't matter what I do to the local
permisions for /mnt/<share>, they revert back to ownership 'root', group
'root'. On the server, I have made the owner and group on my secured share to
be my user name, 'pmbuc'.

Doe this give you an ideas?