I've noticed a number of people saying that they are having trouble with
shorewall but bastille is working well for them... You might try that.
I've got a small dedicated router these days (after 8 years 24/7 running
and god knows how many OS's my firewall box died a while back) So I
don't use either of them..  I'll look for it and pop in a vote for you.

James