On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 00:10, tarvid wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 March 2003 22:08, Lorne wrote:
> > On Wednesday 05 March 2003 12:38 pm, Todd Lyons wrote:
> > >
> > > PLEASE PLEASE!  DO NOT MAKE THE FIREWALL SERVE A BUNCH OF SERVICES!
> > >
> Try the converse on for size.
I started to reply to Todd's message as well. Assuming a firewall -> hub
-> servers scenario, it really makes no difference whatever where the
smtpd is. Vulnerability is the same.

But, Todd's reply is a quick and easy knee-jerk that is very common on
Linux lists. Why? Because it makes the unwashed masses stop and think
that this might be harder than they expected. In that sense, I'm fine
letting it go by unchallenged. And heck, the OP may even buy a switch to
put between firewall and servers, in which case the vulnerability is
slightly lessened.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...