On Saturday 08 March 2003 06:48 am, Adrian Golumbovici wrote:
> OK. I fiddled some more with it (a few hours). None of the parameters you
> gave me worked. Same problem. With the enterprise kernel there is a small
> difference which I noticed just now (or at least in the 12mdk enterprise
> kernel from cooker). It lights Scroll lock and Caps lock but doesn't blink.
> They just stay on. I tried booting failsafe and what do you know... It
> booted and reported my memory ok (1.032.900k). Then I tried adjusting the
> 12mdk parameters one by one to reflect the ones in failsafe and I isolated
> this one to be causing the kernel panic:
> vga=788
> I switched again all the parameters to the original from the 12mdk
> enterprise kernel but left this vga=788 out and it booted with no problem.
> What the heck is/does vga=788 and why does it cause PCs to freeze when 1G
> memory installed?!? :/
>
> Best regards,
> Adrian

that number is a video mode, were was it that you changed it (in lilo?
compileing a kernel? how long did you let the "lockup" sit? you may have just
been booting using a mode your video card could not do, so rather than do a
display that would hurt the card, you got no display, and it "may" have come
back had you let it sit 3 mins with a working X, or at leasta command prompt