Hi Anne,

this is actually a BIOS remapping, telling the System to change the Bios-Mappings for the harddrives from 0x80 -> 0x81 and vice versa, or in better terms, change the the order the harddisks will be presented to the Windows-Boot loader. In the MSDos Times, and windows OS's based on DOS (98, ME etc.), the OS needed to boot from drive 0x80 (Except when using SCSI) or Linux ;).
In your case, the default Old-times boot drive 0x80 (hda) is replaced with the 0x81 (hde) entry, which from your lilo-default configuration is correct. However - I do not know how the global parameters do interact with your /dev/hde1-settings. Never tried it myself.

Cheers

Joerg

Anne Wilson wrote:
In another thread, Mark Watts wrote:

I do have these lines in the global options of my lilo.conf though:

disk=/dev/hde bios=0x81
disk=/dev/hdg bios=0x82

This reminded me of another unsolved puzzle on my machine.

In my lilo.conf there is the following stanza:

other=/dev/hde1
        label=windowsOriginal
        table=/dev/hde
        map-drive=0x80 to=0x81
        map-drive=0x81 to=0x80

I don't know how these last two lines got there. The windows stanza doesn't boot, but that may be because I mistakenly broke the chain of fat partitions. I have restored them, but I probably need to re-install windows, I guess. But that's a different issue.

The point here is that those two lines appear to contradict each other. Is there a point to this? If so, what's happening?

Anne

| Joerg Mertin              :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (Home)|
| in Neuchâtel/Schweiz      :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     (Work)|
| Stardust's LiNUX System   :                                          |
| PGP 2.6.3in Key on Demand :  Voice & Fax: +41(0)32 / 725 52 54       |
Home-Page: http://www.solsys.org