Damn folks,

there's too much M$-itis going on. Why does almost anyone in here believes
that Formatting and reinstalling will solve you problems ?
They eventually will - but if you didn't understand the source of the
issue - it won't work. Also - understanding what is happeneing will spare
you hours next time :)

Anne - could you give a exact explanation of your drives ? By that, I
mean, how many disks are in there - best would be a dmesg-grep.
Short after boot, make a:
dmesg | egrep "hd|dev"

Or if you have huge uptimes - go to the /var/log directory and issue a:
egrep "hd|dev" dmesg

and post it here. Another thing you need to specify us - are the boot
drives. We then can recreate you a lilo.conf file you could try.
Also - please repost you actual lilo.conf.

Note - lilo will not break anything on your system if you reinstall it. If
you want to backup the last master-boot record, just issue a:

dd if=/dev/<boot disk> of=bootsector.raw bs=512 count=1

If you need to recover your old bootsector - use:
dd if=bootsector.raw of=/dev/<boot disk>

while the bootisk is most probably hda. Can be something else too.
Note - this also works for saving the MBR.

And - as long as you folks do not touch the partition tables - nothing of
your data is lost.

Regarding ATA100. I don't know of a drive yet that really needs the
bandwidth ATA100 provides. Most drives have still a very good throughput
wth ATA33, while ATA66 is not maxed with actual drives. S - the importand
stuff IMHO with harddisks is to have the DMA mode active, and if you don't
want your mouse to jump over the screen while having big data transfers on
your disk - activate the unmask IRQ options using hdparm. on my server,
that's what I use;
/sbin/hdparm -d 1 -W 1 -k 1 -c 1 -m 16 /dev/hda

you might want to check the hdparm manpages to know the exact meaning of
the flags.

which results in:
Capabilities:
        LBA, IORDY(cannot be disabled)
        Buffer size: 1945.0kB   ECC bytes: 4    Queue depth: 1
        Standby timer values: spec'd by standard, no device specific
minimum
        r/w multiple sector transfer: Max = 16  Current = 16
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 *udma4 udma5
             Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
        PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
             Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow control=120ns

and Timed buffered reads do come out with:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.11 seconds = 30.31 MB/sec

which even ATA33 would handle fine.

Regarding moving disks around. All you need to keep in mind - is that you
then need to adapt your /etc/fstab with the corrected values. For this - I
usually boot off of Knopix (Live FS Distribution), mount the
root-partition of existing Mandrake dist. and modify the device names
accordingly.

means - in your case - you had to modify all /dev/hdbX instances to
/dev/hdc instances and you would have been fine. Of course - you need to
make sure to check your CMOS settings. Many people I know do turn of the
secondary Port to save Interrupts. So - if you do not see the drive 2 at
all while booting up - that's most probably what happened.

OK - I hope I have not been too long here - but this thread could be
solved soo fast ;o)

Cheers

        Joerg

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Dave Laird wrote:

| Joerg Mertin              :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (Home)|
| in Neuchâtel/Schweiz      :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     (Work)|
| Stardust's LiNUX System   :                                          |
| PGP 2.6.3in Key on Demand :  Voice & Fax: +41(0)32 / 725 52 54       |
Home-Page: http://www.solsys.org