Rick -Gilligan- Uschold wrote on Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 08:56:32PM -0500 :
> I installed Linux Mandrake 8.0 from a cd about a year ago.  Recently, I
> tried to get the Apache web server going.  It woks, except that it won't
> run cgi scripts.  I set the exact same configuration that currently
> works for linux Mandrake 7.0, running on the exact same machine, in a
> different partition.
> Using LinuxConf, I set the ScriptAlias line to: "/cgi-bin
> /home/httpd/cgi-bin"
> Restarting the httpd gives the following error: and the httpd never
> starts.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] uschold]# /etc/rc5.d/S85httpd start
> Starting httpd: Syntax error on line 4 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
> Invalid command 'ScriptAlias', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a
> module not in
> cluded in the server configuration

Don't use linuxconf to edit anything on Mandrake.  Here's what it looks
like by default:

#
# Aliases: Add here as many aliases as you need (with no limit). The
# format is
# Alias fakename realname
#
<IfModule mod_alias.c>

    #
    # Note that if you include a trailing / on fakename then the server
    # will
    # require it to be present in the URL.  So "/icons" isn't aliased in
    # this
    # example, only "/icons/"..
    #
    Alias /icons/ /var/www/icons/
    Alias /doc /usr/share/doc

    #
    # ScriptAlias: This controls which directories contain server
    # scripts.
    # ScriptAliases are essentially the same as Aliases, except that
    # documents in the realname directory are treated as applications
    # and
    # run by the server when requested rather than as documents sent to
    # the client.
    # The same rules about trailing "/" apply to ScriptAlias directives
    # as to
    # Alias.
    #
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /var/www/cgi-bin/
    ScriptAlias /protected-cgi-bin/ /var/www/protected-cgi-bin/

    <IfModule mod_perl.c>
        #Provide two aliases to the same cgi-bin directory,
        #to see the effects of the 2 different mod_perl modes
        #for Apache::Registry Mode
        Alias /perl/ /var/www/perl/
        #for Apache::Perlrun Mode
        Alias /cgi-perl/ /var/www/perl/
    </IfModule>

</IfModule>
# End of aliases.

Obviously, linux conf was not putting it surrounded by the
<IfModule></IfModule> section.

Blue skies...                   Todd
- --
| MandrakeSoft USA             | Security is like an onion.  It's made |
| http://www.mandrakesoft.com  | made up of several layers and makes   |
| http://www.mandrakelinux.com | you cry.              --Howard Chu    |
      Mandrake Cooker Devel Version, Kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk