STFW. http://www.linux-laptop.net/, search for "linux
model-of-computer", look at the laptops used by resellers like
emperorlinux and qlitech, look for linux support for the various
hardware items.

As a general rule of thumb, the newer the laptop model the less likely
it will work without problems unless you're willing to use the bleeding
edge of software. Older models will be better supported.

As another general rule of thumb, which you already seem to be
observing, stick to big name brands in order to increase the potential
pool of other people working with the same model.

Jack

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...