On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 19:24, David E. Fox wrote:
> > The installation program runs from a RAMdisk when you have 64MB or more
> > of memory. If you have less, as you do, the installation program must run
>
> So that's it. I'm not affected by lack of RAM, but it's good to see a
> coherent explanation.
>
> On the same issue - how much RAM does the installation program really
> need these days? As a fairly longterm user of Linux, I've seen and
> done installs in as low as 4 megs of RAM up to my current system
> configuration, which has 256 megs. As memory resources have increased
> *quite a bit* in the last several years, it also seems that the
> installers are getting fancier and requiring more RAM as well.

> One trick we used (back in the days of SLS and early Slackware) was to
> define and manually attach a swap partition as soon as was possible
> during the install process. That way, one could still install on
> a system that didn't quite have the recommended memory requirements.

This is exactly the tack taken by a group called R.U.L.E. (Run Up2date
Linux Everywhere) they are working on changing the RH installer to work
on low RAM boxes yet install an updated Kernel etc. Personally I get
really tired of hearing "Memory is cheap" yeah it's cheap... if you are
spending the other guys money. *grin*

> This doesn't seem applicable these days - at least in that the current
> installer has to wait until the partition definition screen (i.e.,
> diskdrake) to set these partitions up for us. And, consequently, if
> there's not enough RAM to get yuo this far, you're in trouble to say
> the least.
>
> > I dunno about this, but I would try using urpmi.addmedia instead.
>
> Yeah, that works, but you have to install things after the stuff is
> isntalled on CD#1.
>
> On the other hand, I don't have a burner and all I physically had when
> I installed 9.0 was the first CD. It would have been nice to be able
> to do on-the-fly urpmi.addmedia's to install stuff from the rest of
> the system via other means (could be FTP or HD). And in my instance
> the HD install method blew up early in the install because it could
> not find a hdlist.cz file :(.

I've used this trick to do this.  go to

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php

and get the urpmi command for main, contrib, and updates (we want to be
current don't we *grin*) then edit /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg and add the line
"ignore" (without the quotes) to the end of each of the removable disks
you have listed there.  Now whenever you do a urpmi command it will go
to the net for ALL of the needed rpms. You now no longer need the disks
to run urpmi.  This will allow you to install all day long (or less time
if you have broadband.) applications, etc.  (speed tip if you put the
word synthesis. (with the .) in front of hdlist.cz or hdlist2.cz etc it
will be much faster to add the media.)

James