Anne Wilson wrote:

That sounds interesting. I presume it's not particularly fast?

USB1 would be slow, but Firewire (which we have going here) or USB2 run faster than the drive :)

FWIW, our backup regime on our (mixed Linux, OS X, W2K) LAN is rsync or 2nd copy to an IDE drive in a removeable cradle which, in turn, is rsynced to a Firewire IDE drive, both on the Mandrake server. The reasoning behind the two-stage process (apart from some protection against disk failure) is that we can take the Firewire drive away with us when we go away but still have one level of backup going in our absence.

Pete Jordan